State 'Created' cannot have transition 'ValidationFailed' to state 'ValidationFailed' because it's one of ancestors of state 'ValidationFailed'

May 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Edited May 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I am getting a really strange error:

State 'Created' cannot have transition 'ValidationFailed' to state 'ValidationFailed' because it's one of ancestors of state 'ValidationFailed'.

and I really don't get it. What's the problem here? Otherwise I have to resort to Reflector ...

Check this screenshot:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1740/statecannothavetransiti.jpg

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Deyan 

P.S. Ignore the transition from Created back to RequestReceived - I was just experimenting if I circular transitions cause errors, but strange enough - I don't get an error with that but with a "normal" transition from Created to ValidationFailed.

May 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Generally it means that you cannot have a transition from ancestor state to a descendant state, but your case looks different. Can you repro this issue from a clean project?

May 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

No, I recreated all states and transitions from scratch and no problem. I removed the "Created" state from the old workflow and replaced it with a new "Created" state, and then the strange problem moved to the next state "ValidationPassed" and its transition to another final state "RefusedBy..". I can send you the xaml if you want. 

May 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Please use issue tracker to report it. You could upload your XAML file over there. I expect the xaml file is foiled. What I am interested in is what operations caused this issue.