WF 4 and State Machine

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Hi all.

I'm new in this Commununity and probably I don't know how to ask something.

I need help. I'm designing a system like this:

- Web Application (ASP .NET 4)

- Model (Class Library and EDM 4) for business logic and persistance

- WCF Workflow Service (WF 4) to call methods that invoke WF in a SOA Architecture that needs integration with external system

I've just understand that WF 4 doen't implement Machine State. Unfortunately I need a Machine State.

The release named CTP implements the machine state but not some important features I need like this:

- querying the current extecutely

- querying the possible transictions from current state

- and others

Whato do you advise me to do?

Thanks in advance.

Stefano

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Stefano,

I would advise you to not try to use the State Machine CTP at this time due to the deficiencies you have listed as well as problems we have found with it hanging the WF service.

Have a look at the migration guidance documents for info on implementing a quasi-statemachine using Pick activity.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Many thanks for the advise.

I need another project in my System, precisely a WCF service calling the Workflow Service. I test this solution and it works fine.

So the structure will be:

- Web Application

- Model Library with EMD

- WCF Service to expose methods (System.runtime.serialization, bindings configuration and other features) and integrated with Workflow

- WCF Workflow Service (workflow engine with FlowChart and Pick Activity as you advise to me)

Now I have another doubt as regard Data Persistence.

What you advise me to do? Persist directly in the WF Service with primitives or invoking methods created in Model Library?

Thanks in advance.

Stefano