Activity designer is not loaded in rehosted Designer

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I'm experimenting with the ADO.NET activities.  When I use them in Visual Studio, they use the activity designers for connection strings etc. But, when I use them in an application that rehosts the Workflow Designer, I don't get them.

I have the Microsoft.Data.Activities.dll and Microsoft.Data.Activities.Design.dll in the same directory as the application.  I can add an ADO.NET Activity to a workflow and it works, I just don't get the designers.

What do I have to do to get the designers in a rehosted Workflow Designer?

John Vottero

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for using our ADO.NET activities. The dialog for selecting connection strings, etc. is a Visual Studio only feature because we used some feature provided by Visual Studio. So unfortunately we couldn't provide it in rehosted designer.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. When I look at the source code I see ConnectionDialogForVS.xaml and ConnectionDialogForRehost.xaml but, I don't get the ConnectionDialogForRehost dialog when I am rehosting. Is the ConnectionDialogForRehost.xaml a work in progress?
Jun 17, 2010 at 11:37 AM
ConnectionDialogForRehost.xaml is the XAML file for the connection dialog you see in rehost. You can see from the file that it contains 2 radio buttons and some textboxes just as the dialog shows. We do want to provide consistent behavior between visual studio and rehost as much as we can. The problem here is that for rehost, there is some API cannot use. And even if we sort this problem out, there are still some issues for example in rehost, there is no configuration file.
Jun 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I was not even seeing the ConnectionDialogForRehost dialog.

My mistake was thinking that DesignerMetadata.Register() would find all implementations of IRegisterMetadata. The quick fix is to create an instance of Microsoft.Data.Activities.Design.DesignerMetadata and then call Register().

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM

You are correct. If the designer is hosted in VS, VS is to find all implementations of IRegisterMeatadata and register designer metadata automatically for you. But in rehost, you are expected to create the DesignerMetadata instance and call Register() yourself.